Wednesday, February 5, 2020

"Joseph is a fruitful vine, a fruitful vine near a spring, whose branches climb over a wall."
Gen. 49:22

Relaxing in the California sunshine I admire the orange tree that generously shares its fruit with its neighbors.  We do not own the tree and thus do not tend it.  And yet we may pick the fruit hanging on our side of the wall.  
The tree itself cannot tend itself.  Someone else planted it and waters it.  The sun gives the leaves the food they need to nourish the tree.
In the kingdom of God I too am a tree. God makes me grow by anointing me with the Spirit, consecrating me or 'filling my hands' with his power, and sanctifying or 'cleansing' me with His Living Word.  These 3 actions prepared the Old Testament priests to minister to God in the temple.  So what is my part?   The tree feeds on the stream running beneath it.  In the case of the orange tree its an irrigation pipe.  In my case its the living Presence of Jesus that feeds me.  And how do I minister to God?   By worshipping and adoring Him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment